Thursday, August 31, 2006

Growing Pains

The other day someone asked me how old I was and I can't believe that the first thought that popped into my head was 17. I am closer to a decade above that number but for some reason, it has a hard time sinking in. That set another chain of thoughts in motion and suddenly I realized that I am an adult. For lack of a better term I am now, "All grown up." I have a wife, a child, A few weeks ago I finished my B.S., I have a profession instead of a job, and I am loosing my hair much earlier than any man should.

It's not like all of these events happened in one day, it took many years for all of this to happen. In fact I know that I have had these thoughts before, at the culmination of certain events,( My son's birth was a big one) but I guess that now that all of these things have come together, it sinks in a little deeper. After contemplating all this I am not scared, I am rather excited. I love my little family and it is so exciting to be involved in raising a child. I have wonderful friends, the best of which I am married to. I stand now at the beginning of a career and a grand adventure awaits me. Life is going to happen, but I plan to enjoy it along the way. I am sure that time will go by fast as it already has, but talk to anyone on the downhill side of life and they have great memories. So here is to being a kid at heart, and in the immortal words of Captain Jack Sparrow, "bring me that horizon!".

3 comments:

Benjamin said...

I do a similar thing when thinking about what year it is. If somebody mentions something happening in 1996 or later, I always think, "ok, two or three years ago." Then I realize it's been a whole decade. I assume this is part of growing up/old.

Mac G said...

Yep, I actually walked in May, but didn't finish my last two classes until summer. Now I am free...muahahahahaha hence more time to blog.

Crystal said...

I decided to catch up on your blogs. I didn't realize you had written so many that I hadn't read. Thank you for the sweet comment about me.