Thursday, August 24, 2006

Might as well face it, I'm addicted to crud...

I have what I like to call an addictive personality. What I mean by this is that I am easily attracted to new things and then I go crazy with them for a short period of time. Some examples... My friend took me Rock Climbing a couple of years ago and that very day I stopped on the way home and bought myself a harness and over that summer I collected all of my own gear. That same friend took me Mountain Biking and soon I had to have all the fancy gear and attachments for my bicycle. We went boating and now all I can think of are boats, and what kind would be good to buy, etc. If I find a book that I am interested in I cannot put it down. I will stay up late, and basically ignore the world around me while I read. It's not just because I am enjoying the story but I feel a pressing need to actually just finish the book. It's weird but I can't explain it.

This last example has recently been driving my poor wife crazy, as the last few days I have been immersed in a good novel. Most of these things are harmless and either only cost money or time. It makes me wonder though what would my life had been like if I hadn't been raised in a religion that preaches abstinence from drugs and alcohol. Given the previous examples, I would be one mess of a person. I would be that guy dressed in the military fatigues with the greasy hair, missing teeth and whom you could smell a mile away, and tried to ignore as you saw me. Possibly I am exaggerating, but who knows.. I am just lucky to be me and have a wonderful little family and a good life. I just need to curb some of my enthusiasms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not alone. I have to set myself rules like "No web surfing before noon", or I won't get anything done that day.

And I don't read much fiction any more, because I get too absorbed. You give me a new Harry Potter book, and you can just say goodbye for the next twelve hours or so.

About once a year I make the mistake of picking up the book "Ender's Game". I keep telling myself "I'll just read for 15 more minutes", but eventually the sun comes up, and I have to go to school.